Meet the Teachers
Barn Owls are taught by Miss Brooks and Mrs Reeve.
My name is Jessica Brooks and I teach The Barn Owls on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday morning. I have been teaching Foundation Stage at Chacombe for 12 years after studying a PGCE at Oxford Brookes University.
I have a 9 year old son and a 6 year old daughter who keep me on my toes when I'm not at school!
In my spare time, I love reading, films, interior design and I can also play the piano.
My name is Zoe Reeve I teach The Barn Owls on Wednesday afternoons, Thursdays and Fridays and Ospreys on Wednesday mornings. I have now been teaching for 12 years. I came to Chacombe for my NQT year after carrying out some supply work and was initially in year 1 and 2 before moving in to Foundation stage.
I have 4 children of my own who are 17, 13, 2 and 2, a girl and 3 boys who keep me extremely busy while I'm not in school.
When I’m not working or running around after my own children I love art, reading and spending time in the garden.
- The children will usually have PE on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- The timetable can change from week to week so please ensure PE kits are in school all week.
- PE will be outdoors weather permitting so please ensure children have appropriate warm PE kit and trainers.
- Phonics is taught daily in short sessions
- We learn phonics as pure sounds ssss not s-uh - http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/reading-owl/expert-help/phonics-made-easy
- As soon as we have learnt the first 4 sounds s,a,t,p we begin practicing blending sounds for reading and segmenting them for writing, starting with 3 sound words.
- There are many ideas and games available online to support your child with this at home.
- The children have all been given a school reading book chosen by a teacher for them to share and read to you at home. The more often they read these books, the quicker their reading will improve, so please share them as often as possible. We ask for 5 reads at home each week. This will earn them stickers for their Reading chart in school.
- The children may also been take one book of their own choice from our classroom book shelf which they can look at home and swap any time in school.
- In school we aim to hear your child read individually at least once each week and will hear them more often if time permits.
- Children also take part in whole class guided reading sessions once each week. In these sessions we discuss stories together and work on developing our reading and comprehension skills.
- We always really appreciate it if any parents can come into school to hear readers. So if you have any time to spare and would like to come and hear the children read please let us know.
- Reading from their school reading book at least 5 times a week
- High frequency word practice (in spring/summer terms)
- Optional phonics sheets as we learn each new sound to support and reinforce the children’s learning.
- Observations and assessments are made using our online learning journal which you can access using your login. Please inform us if you do not have this information or are having any difficulties accessing your child’s observations.
- We may also use this from time to time to keep you up to date with things going on in school.
- Tapestry can also be used at home to upload images and observations of the things your child gets up to when they are not in school. This helps us to build up a full picture of your child’s progress.
- For support with using tapestry you can access these self help pages:
Alternatively please arrange a time to come in to see us and we can talk you through the key features of the Tapestry program.